The City of Fruita maintains this page in an effort to keep citizens informed and up-to-date about municipal issues. Below is a list of frequently asked questions, and their answers. If you don't find what you're looking for here, please call us at (970) 858-3663, or send us a note via our contact form.
Click on a heading below to open or close a panel showing questions and answers for that particular subject.
General City Questions

What are the phone numbers, locations & main operating hours of each city department?
  • City manager - Civic Center, 325 E. Aspen Ave. - (970) 858-3663 - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. M-F
  • Administration (Clerk, Finance & Billing) - Civic Center, 325 E. Aspen Ave. - (970) 858-3663 - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. M-F
  • Community Development/Planning - Civic Center, 325 E. Aspen Ave. - (970) 858-0786 - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. M-F
  • Parks & Recreation - Community Center, 324 N. Coulson St. - (970) 858-0360 - 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. M-F
  • Engineering (a Division of the Public Works Department) - Civic Center, 325 E. Aspen Ave. - (970) 858-8377 - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. M-F
  • Human Resources - Civic Center, 325 E. Aspen Ave. - (970) 858-8373 - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. M-F
  • Police - Community Services Building, 101 W. McCune Ave. - (970) 858-3008 - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. M-F
  • Public Works - Maintenance Shop, 900 E. Kiefer Ave. - (970) 858-9558 - 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. M-F

  • Does the City of Fruita have a dump?
    The city does not maintain its own dump, but Mesa County has a landfill transfer station at 1275 17 1/2 Rd. (north of the city). The phone number there is (970) 858-1034.
    Where do I sign up for sewer & trash service?
    New sewer and trash service can be started at the Administration Department at the Fruita Civic Center, 325 E. Aspen Ave., Fruita, CO 81521.
    How do I report a problem with city streets or other city infrastructure?
    The City's Public Works Department maintains an electronic contact form for reporting problems with city infrastructure. Problems can also be reported by phone at (970) 858-9558, or in person at the city shop at 900 E. Kiefer Ave.

    City Streets/Utilities Questions

    Is there a plan for removal of snow from the streets during and after a winter snow storm?
    Yes. The Public Works Department removes the snow from streets based on four priorities. The first priority is the major arterials, schools, bridges and the business districts, traveling north/south and east/west. The second priority is major residential streets leading to arterial streets. Priority three includes at least one major residential street through a residential subdivision. The fourth priority is side streets within residential subdivisions inside the City.
    How do I get a pothole fixed in my neighborhood, or around town?
    Public Works encourages citizens to fill out a citizen service request, or call the office at 858-9558 during regular working hours (7:00 AM to 3:00 PM) to report potholes. The Road Maintenance Division will investigate the location and schedule the patch crew to fix it. Pothole reporting is greatly appreciated, and helps the Road Maintenance staff keep up with the problem. During the winter months hot asphalt is not available and potholes are patched using cold asphalt. This sometimes results in the pothole reoccurring. When the local asphalt plants open in the spring the potholes are re-patched using hot asphalt or are scheduled for larger repairs of the asphalt in that area.
    Does the City mow and spray weeds along the roadways?
    The City has program for mowing the edge of the roads and spraying around delineators and signs. The purpose is to adhere to the City’s weed ordinance, for fire protection and to provide better visibility for pedestrians and vehicle traffic.
    Why are new streets chip sealed?
    In short, it saves taxpayers’ money. When the asphalt is four or five years old it is scheduled for crack seal and chip seal. Chip seal is nearly one-tenth the cost of new asphalt; reduces UV light, which reduces elasticity; reduces the skid plane and provides better traction; and can double the life of the asphalt.
    Do I need to own shares of irrigation water to use the City irrigation system?
    No. The City owns and rents shares of irrigation water to provide water to customers of the City system. This is part of the cost of the irrigation bill you receive from the City. If you do own shares, call the billing office (970) 858-3663 so your billing may be reduced.
    I don’t intend to use the irrigation water. Will I still be billed?
    No. Contact the billing office at (970) 858-3663. They will contact Public Works to turn off your irrigation valve.
    Are there specific watering days?
    Yes. Mondays are set aside as a “no watering” day so the City can make repairs and flush out the system. Even numbered addresses may water on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Odd numbered addresses may water on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.
    Why do you need a new wastewater facility? How will it be funded?
    The permit limits that have been established by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment for 2013 will have much higher removal standards than we can currently meet with our lagoon system. Funding derives from sewer tap fees and monthly sewer fees. The City has acquired a loan from a fund that is utilized to construct or improve water and wastewater facilities in Colorado.
    Why are there odors from the lagoons?
    In spring and fall, water temperature rises, causing algae to loosen from the bottoms of the lagoons. Along with the algae come gases and odors. This is a short term situation and rectifies itself quickly.
    Which offices are at the Civic Center?
    Offices for the City Clerk, City Manager, Engineering, Code Enforcement, Planning, Human Resources, and the Municipal Court are located at the Civic Center. Additionally, Mesa County operates a Motor Vehicle office on the main floor. An elevator is available in the lobby of the Civic Center.

    Fruita Reservoirs Information

    Where are the Fruita Reservoirs and Enochs Lake?
    Fruita Reservoirs 1-3 and Enochs Lake, which used to supply the City of Fruita with its drinking water, are located south of the Colorado National Monument on Pinion Mesa. To get to the areas, follow Rimrock Drive up the Monument to the Glade Park store, then continue south on 16 1/2 Rd. for approximately 7.5 miles to the Fruita Divide sign. Turning left, or east, at this point will take you to Enochs Lake, and staying right, or south, will take you to the Fruita Reservoirs. Signs are posted for all city-owned and maintained areas.
    Is there fishing or camping at the reservoirs?
    Yes. Reservoirs are stocked by the Colorado Division of Wildlife around the third week of June each year. Reservoir #1 was rebuilt in 2009 and will not be stocked until 2011. There is primitive camping at all reservoirs. Pit toilets are available at all locations. Reservoir #3 has a pit toilet at the Haypress campground, just a short distance from the reservoir. Enoch’s Lake campground provides picnic tables and a primitive boat ramp. There is no vehicle access leading right up to the reservoirs. Please pick up your trash and place it in the bear-proof trash receptacles. Electric and hand powered boats only are allowed. Hunting is allowed, subject to Division of Wildlife rules and regulations.
    Are there off-road trails for use?
    Yes, for unmotorized traffic only. Consult the U S Forest Service map for dedicated trails and restricted use. The U S Forest Service District Office is located at 2777 Crossroads Blvd, Suite 1, Grand Junction, Colorado 81506, (970) 242-8211.

    Permit Questions

    Do I need a city permit for a fence, and where do I get one?
    All fences built in the City of Fruita require a fence permit. You may obtain the permit either online under Planning Clearance Forms or from the Community Development Department located in the Fruita Civic Center at 325 E. Aspen Ave., Fruita, CO 81521.
    Do I need a city permit for a shed, and where do I get one?
    If you are building a shed larger than 80 square feet you will need a City of Fruita Planning Clearance. You may obtain the permit either online under Planning Clearance Forms or from the Community Development Department located in the Fruita Civic Center at 325 E. Aspen Ave., Fruita, CO 81521. If your shed is less than 80 square feet, you will still need to make sure you meet the setback distances specified by your zoning district. Zoning information may be obtained from the Community Development Department.
    How do I obtain an excavation and right-of-way permit?
    If you are performing construction in a City of Fruita right-of-way you will need an excavation and right-of-way permit. This permit can be obtained either online under the Permits tab of the Documents and Forms page, or from the Public Works department located 900 E. Kiefer Ave., Fruita, CO 81521.
    Do I need a permit to demolish an existing structure?
    You will need a city Demolition Permit if you are demolishing an existing structure in Fruita. This permit can be obtained either online under the Permits tab of the Documents and Forms page, or from the Public Works department located 900 E. Kiefer Ave., Fruita, CO 81521.

    Planning & Zoning/Community Development Questions

    How do I determine the zoning district of my property?
    You can identify your zoning district either by going to our Online Maps & GIS page and clicking on the "Land Use Map" link or by contacting the City of Fruita Community Development Department located in the Fruita Civic Center at 325 E. Aspen Ave., Fruita, CO 81521.

    New Construction Questions

    How do I get my utilities located and marked before starting construction?
    The Utility Notification Center of Colorado processes the locating and marking of any buried utilities around your excavation site. The UNCC can be reached at 1-800-922-1987, or by dialing "811". It's always a good idea to call before you dig.

    Parks & Recreation Questions

    Do I need to fill out a Waiver form every time I register for a class?
    For programs that recur monthly throughout the year, like aquatics classes and Karate, only one Waiver form is required per year on initial registration. For programs that occur seasonally, like soccer or flag football, a Waiver form is necessary for each separate program.
    Where can I purchase Mike the Headless Chicken gear?
    Customers can purchase festival-related items either at the Fruita Community Center, or online at the official Mike the Headless Chicken website.
    How do I reserve a City of Fruita park?
    Download the Parks Permit form here and return it to the Fruita Community Center at 324 N Coulson or come by the Community Center and Guest Services will provide you with the application. You will want to have a copy of your permit of reservation with you when you are at the park.
    Does the Fruita Community Center offer a discounted rate for Fruita residents?
    Residents are able to purchase memberships and punch cards at a discounted rate. Daily admission and program fees will remain the same for both residents and non-residents.
    I need to sign up for t-ball, baseball or softball. Where can I get more information?
    T-ball, baseball and softball programs are provided by the Fruita Little League. They can be reached online at, or at (970) 858-3334.
    How do I find more information about the Fruita Community Center?
    The Fruita Community Center and Parks & Recreation Department may be reached by phone at (970) 858-0360. The City also maintains a web page with documents and information for your convenience. then Parks & Recreation for online registration (no extra fee) or printing applications for various facilities and City coordinated events.

    Finance/Billing Questions

    Why has my sewer rate increased recently?
    The City of Fruita has had to increase residential and commercial rates for sewer service due to the federally-mandated construction of a new wastewater reclamation facility. The approximate cost of this construction, combined with the cost of the improvements necessary to route sewage to the new facility, is $28,000,000. The city has had to procure a combination of funding sources for this construction, and the repayment of those funds has driven the increase in the sewer rate.
    Can I pay my sewer and trash bill online or over the phone?
    The City currently does not accept payments for sewer and trash online. However, we do take credit card payments over the phone. Contact the Administration Department at (970) 858-3663 for more help, or to pay your bill.
    What holidays will cause my trash service or recycling service to be delayed?
    The six annual holidays are New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. When one of these holidays falls on a scheduled trash pick-up day, the service will be delayed by one day following the holiday. (Example: Holiday falls on a Tuesday – Tuesday service will be on Wednesday and Wednesday service will be on Thursday.) If the holiday falls within your scheduled recycling week, your recycling will be picked up on Saturday rather than Friday. (Example – Memorial Day falls on Monday, May 31st. Recycling for the West route will be picked up on Saturday, June 5th.

    Clerk and Records Questions

    Do I need a business license in the City of Fruita and how do I get one?
    If you are doing business in the City of Fruita, you need to have a business license. You may find the business license application on this website under E-government, common forms or click here. You may also pick up the application at the City Clerk’s Office at the Fruita Civic Center, 325 E. Aspen, Fruita, CO. The annual fee for a business license is $25.00, payable by check, cash or credit card. You will receive a renewal form in the mail at the end of each calendar year for the following year.
    How do I apply for a sales tax license?
    The Colorado Department of Revenue collects all city sales taxes for the City of Fruita. If you are a business that collects sales tax, you will need to apply for a Colorado State Sales Tax License through the Colorado Department of Revenue. For more information, please go to
    How do I apply for a liquor license?
    It is usually best to call the City Clerk’s Office at (970) 858-3663 to set up a time to meet with the Deputy City Clerk for a pre-application meeting and to receive all the forms. When you call, it is extremely helpful to have information regarding what type of liquor license you are applying for and how many individuals will be listed on the liquor license. You may also find more information at
    When are the City Council meetings and how do I get on the agenda?
    Regular meetings of the Fruita City Council are held on the first and third Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at the Fruita Civic Center, 325 E. Aspen Ave., upstairs in the Council Chambers. Public Participation is held towards the beginning of the meeting, where anyone can address the City Council on any issues they may have. The Council will listen to comments from the public, but generally will not take any official action under this section of the agenda. You may also contact the Clerk’s Office (link to the “Administration” page under Departments) regarding an item that you would like placed on the agenda. A City Council workshop is also scheduled for the third Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m.; however, public input is not accepted at the workshop meeting. All meetings are open to the public.
    How can I become more involved in my local government?
    There are many opportunities to serve on Fruita’s volunteer Boards and Commissions. Some Boards have a residency requirement and an interview may be required as well. Please submit an application form to the City Clerk’s Office, ATTN: Deputy City Clerk Debra Woods at 325 E. Aspen Ave., Fruita, CO 81521 or drop it off at the Fruita Civic Center.

    Employment Policies/Benefit Questions

    How do I apply for a job?
    Complete an application and return it to the HR Office at 325 E. Aspen Avenue. Applications can be downloaded here.
    How do I find out what jobs are available at the City of Fruita?
    Job are posted on the Human Resources page of this website. The City of Fruita also advertises job openings in the Daily Sentinel and other sources.
    How do I apply for a Police Officer position?
    Complete an application, background packet and waiver and return it to the HR Office at 325 E. Aspen Avenue.

    Municipal Code Enforcement Questions

    Content goes here...

    Police Department/Municipal Court Questions

    Where do I pay a traffic ticket fine?
    Payments of tickets and penalty assessments can be made at the Fruita Municipal Court Offices at the Fruita Civic Center, 325 E. Aspen Ave., Fruita, CO 81521.
    Does Court really start at 5:00 PM?
    Yes. All initial arraignments or first appearances start at 5:00PM, generally held on the first Wednesday of each month for juveniles (persons under age 18), and generally held on the second Wednesday of each month for Adults. There are some exceptions due to holidays and other Court conflicts. Please check your citation. All summons are issued with a 5:00 PM appearance time. Please do not be late.
    Where is the Court located?
    Court is located on the second floor of the City of Fruita, Civic Center at 325 E. Aspen.
    Can I mail my payment?
    Yes. The Court mailing address is 325 E. Aspen, Fruita, CO 81521. Check should be made payable to the City of Fruita. Make sure that you reference your citation number or the case number on your check.
    Can I get a copy of the police report?
    Yes. You may contact Fruita Police Department at 101 E. McCune in person and must present a photo ID to receive a copy. The court does NOT provide copies of the police reports or citations.
    Where can I do my community service hours?
    Any non-profit organization including churches. Hours may be completed at any non-profit organization in Mesa County. All hours must be verifiable by the court clerk. A community service worksheet may be found on this website. (Community Service Worksheet)
    What will happen at the first appearance?
    All defendants will appear before the judge. The defendant will be advised of his/her rights, the elements of the offense/charges and the possible penalties. After the defendant is advised he/she will be given an opportunity to make a plea. If a person pleads not guilty a trial will be scheduled for a future date. All cases are called in citation number order NOT by name. All juvenile defendants must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. (General Advisement Form)
    Can I be in Teen Court?
    Juvenile defendants are eligible to participate in Teen Court. Teen Court is the sentencing phase of your court hearing. A juvenile defendant must plead guilty to his/her offense to be considered for Teen Court and in most cases must be a first time defendant. Teen Court is a privilege and is not granted in cases or situations. (Elements of Teen Court)
    May I talk to the Judge?
    The Judge can only speak to a defendant in the courtroom and on record. The City of Fruita does not have a prosecutor at arraignment proceedings. The City prosecutor will be notified should a trial be scheduled.
    Can I file for Divorce in Fruita?
    No. Fruita Municipal Court is a court of record with limited jurisdiction. The Court only hears traffic, city ordinance and misdemeanor offenses that occur in the city limits of Fruita.
    What happens if I do not appear for my citation?
    A bench warrant will issued for your arrest for non-traffic offenses and a default will be entered with the State of Colorado requesting that driving privileges be revoked for traffic offenses.
    Can I pay fines for Mesa County in Fruita?
    No. You should contact Mesa County to get information on where and how to make payments to that court.
    How do I register for Alive At 25?
    The easiest way is to go online at or you may call 1-866-605-3900. You cannot register locally. Classes are held in Fruita and Clifton you may select the class that best fits your schedule.
    Where do I go for a U/A?
    Wiz-Quiz, 838 Grand Ave, Suite 201, Grand Junction, CO 81521 (970) 241-7849
    What are the conditions of my probation?
    A listing may be found under forms. (Standard Terms of Probation)